Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Dump List

Back in September, I came up with a "dump list", or a list of things I buy that eventually make their way to the landfill.  Americans, including myself, are the most entitled-feeling people in the world.  "I want it, so I should have it."  We're also the most over-scheduled, grabbing up the easy on-the-go products just to make it through the day.  However, so much of this stuff gets used once, then dumped into the landfill.  Sure, I use my reusable shopping bag at stores and the grocery, use tupperware instead of plastic wrap, etc.  But it's not enough.  Take a look in your trash can this week and make a "dump list.”  Hopefully you're composting your vegetable waste already, because that's an easy one.  After you make your list, write why you need these items, then how you can eliminate or replace these needs with something more sustainable. Make a goal to eliminate one item this month.  It's a change in routine, habit, perhaps even the structure of your day.  Tackle just one item at a time.  I came across my own list eight months later, and found (happily) I can take a few items off the list. 
The Original Dump List:
1. Medium DD coffee – I own two travel mugs and do use them, but sometimes they're not in the car, and sometimes I want more coffee than my travel mug holds.  Want and need are not the same thing.  Behavior modification in order.  Plus, I save money when I bring in my own mug or bring coffee from home.  Update: I still get the occasional coffee on the go, use my mug at local businesses, and mostly make coffee at work in an individual press pot I brought in.
2. Paper Towels – Convenience.  Meal times with a 3 y.o. can get daunting.  Now my daughter is four, and we only use cotton napkins.  I chose dark colors and patterns that went with the kitchen and hide stains.  I even wrap our sandwiches in them!  I need to find a better way to drain grease from fried foods.  Besides not eating fried foods often, I’ve tried placing foods on cooling racks over trays or the microwave bacon tray.  It doesn’t get enough of the grease, so perhaps a designated cloth I wash with dish detergent to dissolve the grease.  I also pour off bacon grease into  grapefruit rinds I keep in the freezer.
3. Mushrooms – I know fresh mushrooms bruise easily, but do they have to be packaged in Styrofoam?  I'm sure a bio-degradable packaging is possible, but then my mushrooms wouldn't cost $2.  Switch to canned and recycle the aluminum?  But maybe the can is coated with a BPA plastic?  Jury is still out.
4. Plastic bags/Trash bags – Trash bags in our household are other people's plastic shopping bags, so they are at least getting a second use.  We use 1-2 per week.  But they still get added to the landfill.  As more people use reusable shopping bags, my supply from work will dry up, and eventually (soon) these bags will be outlawed (as they should be).  We are going to try paper bags.  I'm on the lookout for a plastic rectangular bin to house them in case wetness spoils the bag.  (Composting vegetable scraps and egg shells eliminates a lot of "wetness".  Raw chicken is another story.  We do have a large tupperware container just for cleaning out the guinea pig cage, which then gets composted as well.)
5. Batteries – I use rechargeable batteries in my digital camera and lantern, but need to transition out the rest of the appliances.  I can only charge AA batteries at this time.  
6. Zip-lock bags – We use tupperware at lunch, but zip-lock bags are very useful for freezer storage and tossing french fries in oil for baking and meats in marinade.  Replacement: Big tupperware for tossing, freezer tupperware for everything else.
7. Pam cooking spray – Oh, what convenience!  Cupcakes, baked Zucchini fritters, pumpkin bread!  Sigh.  I have an air-pump olive oil spritzer and can go back to the grease and flour, then shake for the pumpkin bread.  Lazy, lazy (time-constrained) me.  Actually, I've been using Crisco to grease muffin and bread tins, and the food comes out easily and tasting great!
While I'm just one person, a lot of us can do more.  Corporations do the worst, and not buying their products is the best most individuals can do.  I ordered a certain side-menu item a month ago, watching the employee take the plastic-wrapped individual portion, open it, place it on a paper on a tray, put it in the convectional oven, then pick it up with another paper to put in a cardboard holder in a paper bag with napkins.  6 items were thrown away so I could have a quick snack for under $2.  I could have had an apple!  So watch this video: The Story of Stuff and start your "Dump List" today! 


How to Wrap a Sandwich








No comments:

Post a Comment