Sunday, October 2, 2011

Parsnips and Pine Mouth

Recently, I made a huge batch of pesto with three different types of basil, parsley, olive oil, and pine nuts.  I had wanted to gather pine nuts locally, even though they would be smaller, but no luck.  Instead, it was raw pignolis from Russia, via Trader Joe's.  Of course, I snacked on a few of them.  The pesto was delicious.  A few days later, the metallic taste came.  I was eating green jello brain when I first noticed it.  Artificial lime flavoring?  No, it's actually a common reaction to pine nuts, no matter where they come from.  It goes away on its own, but eating sweet foods especially brings the metallic taste back.  Who knew?  This morning, at least, a week later, the frittata I made from local eggs, fresh thyme, chopped green onions, mozzarella, and diced tomatoes from the garden tasted the way it should.  Perhaps I'll make pesto with pecans next time.

Which brings me to parsnips.  My husband hates them, as many people do.  If I took two of the roots and made the sign of the cross, I probably could chase him out of the house.  But I love parsnips.  Garden Grill on the Providence/Pawtucket line makes a great Farmer's Pie with them.   I even made a point of making them when a friend was visiting that I knew to love parsnips as well.  I roasted them slowly in an oven, knowing I wouldn't be eating them alone.  This friend is Jewish and we're a long way from setting up a seder plate, but just in time for apple parsnip soup, an Irish invention.  My husband had seconds.




Gluten-Free/Vegetarian Option
________________________________________________
Apple Parsnip Soup
Taste of Ireland
________________________________________________
Prep: 20 minutes  Cook: 25 minutes  Serves 8
4 cups green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2” cubes
3 cups parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/2” thick (about 1 lb.)
2 tbs. butter or oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, sliced
5 cups no salt broth (chicken or vegetable)
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 tsp. dried crushed sage
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup or more plain yogurt, sour cream, or creme-fraiche
Heat butter or oil over medium heat in large sauce pan.  Add onion, carrots, celery, and parsnips, stirring occasionally, cooking five minutes.  Add apples, broth, salt, pepper, sage, and cloves.  Simmer until parsnips are soft, about 20 minutes.  In small batches, pour soup into blender and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender.  Divide soup among bowls and stir into each one 2 tbs. of plain yogurt, sour cream, or half-and-half, leaving a white swirl.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment