Saturday, March 24, 2012

Project BudBurst

Got leftovers?  Make frittata!


I still maintain we'll have a late spring for the native trees due to a lack of chill time, but non-native, mostly Asian plants, are in full swing.  This is the first time I've seen forsythia blooming ahead of witch hazel.  It's been a very warm March.  In neighboring yards, I see the typical Asian landscape plants in pink and purple flower.  The lilac was first to bud, and my pear tree is ready to explode.  The flowering almond and weeping cherry are just peeking out.  Of course, there are daffodils and crocus.  Oregano is making a come back, but even the very tender marjoram and curry plants survived the winter.  The feverfew, lavender, and chives are growing strong.  The pea plants just sprouted and we put in our broccoli last night.  The kale is slow to sprout, but I think I need more organic matter in the bed to hold water.

Meanwhile, Master Gardeners have some exciting projects underway.  Volunteers will be keeping track of bloom times at the Roger Williams Botanical Center, which will help plant fans plan their visit based on what they want to see in bloom.  This is called phenology and the information can also track global warming.  Citizen Scientists (like you) can join in by going to the Project BudBurst website and reporting the first buds in your neighborhood, even tracking weeds!

Today, I'll be going to the farmer's market, hopefully finding molasses when I get my eggs, honey, apples, kale, etc.  I'm looking forward to shopping the front yard soon and foraging in the back.  I have been spending less on food since reducing my trips to the big supermarkets.  The food tastes better too.  I suffered through the last hard, tart green apple from the plastic bag my spouse picked up.  No more!

Later, I'll be digging out the rest of the bed for a new "forest garden".  I want to create layers of native plants and some edibles, like ostrich fern, that will suit the less sunny location.  Perhaps a chestnut tree... I will be joining forces with MG at the Community Garden to build one there.  They have a great plan and I hope I learn a lot.  Here is the plan: Edible Forest Garden

Finally, how would you like to have dinner on the table in 10 minutes?  Marinate a pound of meat cut into bite-sized chunks overnight the previous evening.  On dinner night, set oven to broil.  Cook meat 4 minutes per side, turning once.  Check that poultry is cooked through.  Meanwhile, pierce washed organic fingerling or baby potatoes all over with a fork and microwave about 3 minutes, turn over, then microwave 3-4 minutes more.  While potatoes and meat are cooking, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan.  Sauté chopped Swiss chard or kale 6-8 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.  Serve.


Marinade:
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment