Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day! May Day!


Happy May Day, everyone!  So much is going on!  We've had a few frosts, so I covered my rosemary and buttercrisp lettuce with styrofoam coffee cups I sawed the bottoms off: instant cloche!  All the plants are doing great.  I'm keeping my eye on the broccoli experiment: In one bed, chicken manure and compost, in another GH Organics liquid kelp feed.  So far, they look the same.  The chives are about to flower, so I will be making chive blossom vinegar again.  The nasturtiums were planted about a week ago, so they should start popping up soon.

Last night, I harvested three stalks of asparagus, chopped sautéed them lightly in olive oil, fresh lemon thyme, lemon juice, and a splash of Skye Citrus, along with some shrimp.  OMG, just-picked asparagus is SO flavorful!  I'm so happy to have my lemon thyme back after having used up all I dried from last season.  Still watching the ever-growing strawberries, waiting for them to turn red.

On the work-front, I got over 400 kids to try raw kale from our school garden.  While three didn't like it, many asked for seconds!  My Eco-Warriors did a great job getting the compost in order and starting a new bed.  Friday I'll be bringing in some of those strawberry plants and we'll be planting carrots and beets as well.

Enjoying the scent of lilacs in my kitchen.  The cat just came in and he's wet.  The birds are still singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment