Friday, December 23, 2011

No Cupcakes Allowed!


Once again, I was stuck on a treat for my daughter's holiday party, where there can be no nuts, dairy, or, goodness, cupcakes!  For Halloween I adapted an idea for the graveyard from Family Fun Magazine.  This time, I though I'd make snow men from cucumbers, but the ones I purchased were not very white inside.  My spouse reminded me we had a tree-shaped pan, and my ideas for sculpting hummus into a tree shape instantly became easier.  Adding green food coloring, my frequent flyer hummus ingredients went into the Magic Bullet blend and got scooped into the pan.  I cut roasted red pepper strips for the garland and ornaments.  The mini cukes got sliced and inserted as well.  So if you're looking for a quick and pretty dish for that last holiday party, here it is:


Vegan
________________________________________________
Hummus
Taste of the Middle East
________________________________________________
15 oz. can of chick peas
5 tbs. lemon juice
3 tbs. tahini 
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
While I can’t claim local ingredients for this recipe, making it yourself will result in less plastic in the landfill.  The can the chick peas come in is recyclable.  Lemon juice and olive oil are common staples in most American households.  You can find tahini in most markets today, usually with organic or ethnic foods, but the recipe can be made without it.  You can also mix in diced red pepper, garlic, or parsley.  Hummus is a good source of protein, iron, dietary fiber, and vitamin C.  
Drain and rinse chick peas.  Place all ingredients in blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Great with cucumbers, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, pita chips, and more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment