Saturday, December 17, 2011

Twas the Week Before Christmas...


Green Holiday
Twas the week before Christmas
and stashed into the house
was a pile of brown bags
and a second-hand blouse.
A brand-name, nearly brand new,
retailing for fifty, but I got it for two.
Now I will wrap it in style 
without adding my footprint:
I cut open the bags and 
take out sponges and tint.
While I cut out my stencils, 
using old cards with care,
I knew I my design would be
something so fun to tear.
Choosing red, silver, green trees–
Other designs would do too–
I’m not lost on irony,
Giving earth her true hue.
Hoping she enjoys my art,
and this gift will warm her heart.





Baked Brie:

Thaw puff pastry.  Place round brie in center.  Generously top with home-made cranberry chutney.  Wrap as shown.  Bake at 375ºF 35-40 minutes.




Cranberry Chutney (for canning and gifts)

6 half-pint jars
1 tsp. grated orange rind
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 bag (12 oz) cranberries 
   (I add an extra bag toward the end of cooking to make it chunkier)
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/4 cups chopped glace pineapple
(optional, I don't use)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. peeled, grated, & finely
chopped ginger root
1 cup red wine vinegar (I use apple – same acidity)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup golden raisins
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup water

Combine orange rind, orange juice, cranberries, onion, pineapple, garlic, gingerroot and vinegar in a large pan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil gently, covered, until cranberries soften, about 15 minutes. Stir sugar, raisins, mustard, spices, and water into cranberry mixture. Boil gently, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 20 minutes. Mixture should be slightly runny and will thicken upon cooling.  Pour into sterilized jars, using 1/2 inch headspace. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Source:jschell@nettally.com at Home-Canning Online






2 comments: